HYMN PLAYING HELPS
BOOKS / SOFTWARE
The books and software
listed below are helpful in developing hymn playing techniques. They are
available from the BYU Bookstore in
Organ 101 - Cook, Don.
· The OrganTutor Workbook (formerly Organ Essentials) - Cook, Don. Spanish Fork, UT: Ard, 2006. $17.50 (+s/h).
· Three-Stave Hymn Accompaniments – Cundick, Robert and Don Cook. Order through the BYU Creative Works catalog. Use the search words “three-stave”.
Easy Organ Hymn Settings - Cook, Don.
· Hymn Studies for Organists - Belnap, Parley L. Rev. ed. American Fork, UT: Leland, 1992.
Nine Hymn Studies - Croft, D. Kim.
Interpretive Hymn Playing: A Course of Study for Latter-day Saint
See other hymn-playing resources at the Organ Study at BYU website.
· Organmaster– suitable for organ playing
HYMN PLAYING TECHNIQUES
Organ Fundamentals video from 1972 featuring Alexander Schreiner with Douglas E. Bush and Trudy Barnes.
Utah Valley Chapter of the American Guild of Organists
· Carol Dean - Basic Hymn Playing Skills
· Ben Crandall - Fingering Techniques
· Gayle Farnsworth - Pedal Techniques
· Dr. Don Cook - Registration
· Dr. Parley Belnap - Hymn Playing Survival Skills for Pianists
Handouts from the Utah Valley AGO Chapter Super Saturday, April 28, 2007:
· Mike Carson - “Planning, Preparing, and Playing Devotional Preludes from a Hymnal” – PDF
· Ruth Ann Hay – “Effective and Efficient Practice” – PDF
· David Chamberlin - “How to Encourage and Inspire Congregational Singing” – PDF