HYMN PLAYING HELPS
BOOKS / SOFTWARE
(Some of the
books and software listed below that are helpful in developing hymn playing
techniques are available from the BYU Bookstore in
· Easy Hymn Preludes for Organ (Free PDF download) – LDS, 1981
Easy Organ Hymn Settings - Cook, Don.
Essentials for Organists: The Basic Organ Manual – Douglas Lemmon, Douglas Publishing Company
· Hymns from the LDS Hymnal Marked for the Organ – Dean, Carol; Provo, Utah: 2003
(LDS Hymns fingered and marked for beginning organists to help develop a legato touch.) Available from Jennifer Morgan at ldsorganistblog at gmail.com
· Hymn Studies for Organists - Belnap, Parley L. Rev. ed. American Fork, UT: Leland, 1992.
Interpretive Hymn Playing: A Course of Study for Latter-day Saint
Nine Hymn Studies - Croft, D. Kim.
Organ 101 - Cook, Don.
· The New LDS Organist – Cook, Don
· The New LDS Organist, podcast – Cook, Don, 2007
See other hymn-playing resources at the Organ Study at BYU website.
· Organmaster– suitable for organ playing
HYMN PLAYING TECHNIQUES & TRAINING
BYU Continuing Education/Online Organ Performance Levels 1-6, MUSIC 071-076, $150 per level, under Fine Arts and Communications
Organ Fundamentals video from 1972 featuring Alexander Schreiner with Douglas E. Bush and Trudy Barnes.
Utah Valley Chapter of the American Guild of Organists
· Carol Dean - Basic Hymn Playing Skills
· Ben Crandall - Fingering Techniques
· Gayle Farnsworth - Pedal Techniques
· Dr. Don Cook - Registration
· Dr. Parley Belnap - Hymn Playing Survival Skills for Pianists
Handouts from the Utah Valley AGO Chapter Super Saturday, April 28, 2007:
· Mike Carson - “Planning, Preparing, and Playing Devotional Preludes from a Hymnal” – PDF
· Ruth Ann Hay – “Effective and Efficient Practice” – PDF
· David Chamberlin - “How to Encourage and Inspire Congregational Singing” – PDF